Thursday, August 9, 2007

Yeah that Vegan...

I went to a vegan potluck thing with a girl I met in Art History like a year ago. It fascinated me... maybe it was the trippy old people who made the food, or maybe the crazy girl I went with, or maybe it was the surprisingly good food that I had the opportunity to taste. Whatever it was, my curiousity was set off.

This being said, I want you to know that I love beans. I mean, I really love beans. I have also been acquiring a taste for Mediterrean - Indian food. Now that my taste buds are ready, I'm going to start cooking.

Beans are a great, and amazingly cheap, alternative to meat. A good portion of my grocery budget goes to purchasing chicken breasts. This semester, I am determined to explore different menus. Matt showed me the wonders of buying frozen chicken breasts in bulk. I will certainly keep my meat like that from now on. My poor George Foreman is probably tired of me using it every evening. It's time for a little vacation for the grill. It's been a good companion, but frankly, it's time for a change.

However. I could be making up for the chicken breast cost with exotic foods and spices costs. We'll see.

There's an amazing amount of resources on the web that provides all sorts of help and recipes for vegan eaters. Not to say that I have given up on meat, but I have found a method of potentially reducing grocery costs while still consuming all of the necessary nutrients.


Well, back to staring at the computer screen at work. I guess I could start studying for the GRE again. I'm counting down the minutes until it's time to go and get my hair cut!

No comments: