Monday, October 27, 2008

I can't wait for election season to be over

As I peruse my usual online news sources this morning, I am appalled to see different papers endorsing presidential candidates. The editors belabor their picks in this columns that generate hundreds of angry readers's comments. My last idealistic hope that the media wants to present unbiased reports has gone out the window.
I am sick of reading stories in the media that lash out on the Republican candidates for doing things that I'm sure the Democratic candidates are doing. Who cares if Palin has a nice waredrobe? You would say bad things about her if she didn't!

This election season is historic. We have colorful candidates on both sides. We have an amazing lack of experience on both sides hidden under the guise of "we're going to bring change." As someone recently pointed out, not all change is good.

Everyone in the US seems to be yearning for a change. Either candidate will bring change because both candidates are different leaders than our current president. As a moderate voter, I am disappointed with my two choices. However, one of my core values is going to help me make my decision.

Which core value is that? The one that tells me to take responsibility for my decisions and their consequences. The more the government takes that responsibility away from the people, the more we're going to see our nation going into debt and becoming more unstable. What are we teaching our children with all of these hand-outs and loop holes? They can have unprotected sex, become pregnant, and have the choice to kill their unborn child or live on welfare and never contribute to society with a job. Who is going to pay for their healthcare and living expenses? I am. Because I am working hard to make something out of my life, I will end up footing the bill for people who don't know how to take responsibility for their lives.

What kind of American am I? I'm married with no children because we take the appropriate measures not to have any (especially since we cannot afford to have any children!). My spouse and I are students, living off of two part-time jobs. We are just above the poverty line. We purchase our own healthcare. We save for big purchases and are frugal for everyday living. We believe that the consequences of living small now will allow us to have a better future. We are taking responsibility for our lives and what direction they are going.

Election season always scares me. I just have to believe that God is in control.

No comments: