Thursday, November 6, 2008

Our President-Elect

Was I disappointed in the election results? Do I believe that the United States is going downhill? Do I believe that I should have voted? I'm watching all these Conservative Christians being really sore losers, and it kinda makes me sick.

I don't know what's going to happen to the U.S. I know I'm going to try to be faithful to God's will and try to be an asset to my country. Yes, Obama's policies scare me. Who's going to pay for them? What kind of habits are they producing? Yes, Obama's charisma paired with lack of experience scares me. But, he's been elected, so I will continue on with my life by trying to be the best American I can be. I'm not going to give up my morals, values, and convictions, and I will continue to vote according to them. This time I wasn't in the majority. That's the way the system works.

I definitely see some positive things out of Obama's election, though. He wasn't elected because only the African-Americans came out to vote, he was elected because he was abled to appeal to all races. I am so proud to see that an African American was able to be elected. How far we have come! Racism makes me sick. I want to believe that it is not as big of a deal anymore, but I know that's not entirely true. Mistrust exists on both sides. Maybe now we can see that all races are on a level playing field. I believe that level playing field existed before the election, but that it was covered by a lack of confidence and motivation that has shackled that culture. I believe that everyone deserves a chance, but that chance is gained through hard work and committment. Obama stands as an example of that, even if he doesn't come from the usual African American culture.

Also, I was moved by watching the crowd celebrating his victory. Blacks and whites were cheering the victory of a man who captured their hearts all the same. We are all humans with similar emotions, fears, goals, and challenges. I pray that we can all realized that and be united.

1 comment:

megan said...

I agree with you here Elise. It's not about the Christian right here, that actually has very little to do with it, rather it must be about seeing one another as simply humanity and uniting. Simply trying to do and be the best we can with what we have; an idea that our current president elect planted within the hearts of many -- a major reason for him being elected. Not such a negative thing if you ask me.