Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cleared sinuses and a lot of opportunities

After coming close to the end of a full week, I am overwhelmed, a little tired, in awe, and excited.

When I started scheduling out my work load for the semester, I knew that October was just going to be one of those months. There are a lot of projects and papers and events going on. Gosh, I can't wait for a little break. Sometimes I get this sick feeling in my stomach that makes me feel like I can't do it. Again, I recognize these thoughts as lies. My last couple of semesters in undergrad Business College at FSU required a lot of hard work that also seemed impossible. But, I did it, and did it well. If I learned anything in my classes, it was that team work is more fun if everyone participates, and that difficult projects are rewarding in the end. We did some really professional work in those classes (some of our predictions are actually coming true, too!). I can do these projects; they are just requiring me to think differently and go out of my comfort zone.

With the hard work comes a lot of opportunities. Matt and I got to see a hilarious play, Die, Mommy, Die, because I'm writing a paper on that production company, Running with Scissors. It was at the Chat Noir theatre on St. Charles. What a great experience to be downtown, enjoying the New Orleans nightlife! Also, last night, Matt and I went to see the preview of the Manon Lescaut opera. I have never been to the opera before, so it was an amazing experience! The sets, costumes, and singing were fantastic! Additionally, I'm going to try to start a pratica with a great organization called the New Orleans String Project. I got to see the kids at their lessons yesterday afternoon--it was great! It's been a crazy couple of weeks as I've been running here, there and everywhere, but I really enjoy seeing a different side of the city. New Orleans becomes more and more wonderful to me!

I must mention a recent purchase that has cleaned out my sinuses in a way that my medicine has never done! Allow me to introduce to you, or maybe recommend to you, the neti pot. It has been used for centuries as a part of yoga cleansing. Let me tell you, those people know what they are doing. A cup of lukewarm water and a 1/4 tsp. of salt cleans you out and makes you feel like you never had any sinus problems! Observe:



This is a woman showing how to irrigate your sinuses on Oprah.

Weirded or grossed out? I was too, but it works. It really works. I love the fact that my head feels less cloudy and that my nasal passages feel clear. I still take my allergy meds in the morning, but now I clean my sinuses out before I go to bed. It's wonderful. All my coworkers are sneezing and congested, but I'm not. Usually around this time of the year, I am suffering because the season is changing, but this time.


I don't think that busyness is going away any time soon. Heck, I don't even think I'll be back in Pensacola for Thanksgiving. We're poor and busy. But, we're having a great time.

No comments: