Thursday, October 18, 2007

Venting can create more anxiety

As I continue to ask God what keeps me from loving people without discrimination, He has confronted me with my "venting" about people or situations. When I teach Bible studies to youths, I always confront the issue of gossiping as wrong because it's like stealing the person's reputation. I have definitely been convicted about gossiping, and I was doing pretty well about avoiding that until recently. Venting is a way for me to get out frustration over people and situations. However, I am seeing that when I dwell in my frustration (sometimes just putting the frustrating ideas together is enough), my attitude towards people or situations becomes sour. I am noticing that I am picking out only bad things in people and situations when I should focus on good things.

Additionally, at large group for Intervarsity this week, we listened to testimonies about Sonburst, which is one of their semi-annual (I think) conferences. A resounding theme was freedom from sin. The staff person brought up an interesting point. We are oftentimes ruled by reacting to what other people do. We have the instinct of either fight or flight. When we let love rule our lives and attitudes, then we are no longer bound to the fight back or be a doormat responses. We can choose to love that person despite what he or she has done to us. I think this thought will certainly help me to understand what looking at other people through God's eyes means.

School is certainly dragging out. A little less than 2 months until graduation (I have a friend who keeps track every time we go to our really boring class). I got my graduation announcements in the mail yesterday. Every step brings the next stage of life a little bit closer. I am lucky graduate because God has given me a lot of direction for the next year. Nothing is finalized, and that can really discourage me sometimes, but that makes me rely on God more.

I found these verses so encouraging last night:
My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast;
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises!
Awake, my glory!
Awake, harp and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.
I will give thanks to You, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will sing praises to You among the nations.

Psalm 57:7-9

No comments: