Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ethics and pre-nups

As a Business major, I am confronted with the issue of ethics in every class. Is it all right to bride lower-level officials if it is customary in that country? Is it all right to do anything for the sale if "pay roll" depends on it? There are so many choices, and I'm noticing that it comes from the conflict between morality and money. My Professional Selling professor told us that there is no "right" or "wrong," just what you can sleep with at night... but, to remember that everything has a consequence--good or bad. How interesting: you can have a good consequence right now or you can have long-term good consequences. It seems that integrity is being cheapened by the thought process of no absolutes. What a double standard: we demand integrity (particularly honesty) with our laws, yet we are teaching business students that it's always relative. More and more I see the importance of the commandments God gave the Israelites. Whoever said that the Bible is irrelevant because it's old obviously doesn't want to have to live up to its high standards.

Similarly, I heard a recurring theme from a couple of my professors about the importance of prenuptial agreements. The reverence of marriage is also being lost. I'm seeing more articles and things on TV about "starter marriages." I don't want that.


On a more positive note, the weather is changing, and it's feeling so wonderful outside. I'm excited for the fall!

No comments: