Thursday, February 26, 2009

The electronic age

I'm definitely a part of the generation that does everything electronically. I have an iPod, laptop, and wireless Internet access at home. I check my email up constantly. I keep in touch with friends through Facebook. I text more than I talk on the phone. I do a lot of shopping online.
The quick, efficient streamlining that technology has introduced is something that I value. I like not having a million CD cases everywhere. I like being able to receive information about my friends in one place (like Facebook news feeds and Twitter microblogs).

However, I think I am on the more conservative side of the electronic-savvy generation. The friends I am the closest with I call and physically spend time with. I still send hand-written thank-you notes and letters.

It seems to me that technology has also encouraged laziness in keeping relationships alive. My generation is leaning towards complacency with superficial knowledge of one another. Important relationships are built on experiences with each other and partaking in meaningful conversations about life, love, and all that is in between. Certainly relationships can begin with sharing similar interests in bands and movies. But, deeper relationships must move beyond that.

We all have a need to be wanted and loved. Is this how we fill this need? Fulfillment of our need for relationships comes first from knowing we are worth being loved because the Father loves us, and from investing time, vulnerability, and love in others.

I have been thinking about this after reading criticism of the "25 things" phenomenon on Facebook and discussing the endangered CD in my Music Overview class. Good and bad have come from the explosion of technology into our everyday lives. I can connect with more people and things (so much more that it can be consuming if I don't watch my habits). However, that connection can easily become superficial.


Anyway, I'm going to update about my first Mardi Gras experience soon. I want to post some pictures. Mardi Gras was fantastic.

No comments: