Monday, February 16, 2009

February

February, as my husband put it, has been one big party. Not only have we celebrated his birthday and Valentine's Day, but this month has been consumed by Mardi Gras fever. Since this is my first carnival season, I have been surprised at how important Mardi Gras is to this town. Heck, my friend Alexis told me that while she had her class of 4 year olds making Valentine's Day boxes, the other classes were making Mardi Gras floats. Wow.

One local man told me that he leaves town every year for Mardi Gras. But, this sentiment seems relatively uncommon. In fact, I am seeing that most locals see the season as something very different from the infamous reputation Mardi Gras has taken up. Mardi Gras, for the people who were born and raised here, is a fun time of hanging out with family and friends as well as celebrating life with the rest of the community. Certainly the meaning of Mardi Gras is to be as debaucherous as you see fit, but you can be like that every day of the year here in New Orleans.

My coworkers, professors, and classmates are always very willing to tell me about their favorite parade, spot to watch the parades, and tradition associated with the season. Everyone has an opinion about the best king cake (we have had king cake every Friday since January 6 at work). Parades started the week of Matt's birthday (Feb. 7). I am very surprised at how many parades can occur in one month in one city.

I used to have strong convictions about participating in Mardi Gras because of what it represents. However, after being in New Orleans, I'm realizing that Mardi Gras is what you make it. Also, if I were to shun the very mention of Mardi Gras, then I would be isolating myself from this community. Mardi Gras is an essential part of this culture. I want to enjoy it and find a deeper understanding and love of the people I live around.

No comments: