Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What not to wear

Matt was gone this past weekend, so that meant I had full control over the remote. We usually have similar tastes in T.V. shows, but there's one show that he really won't watch with me: What Not to Wear on TLC.

I used to watch this show a lot when it was new. It helped me understand some basics of putting outfits together, styling my hair, and doing my makeup. But, as I watched it after a long hiatus, some other things struck me about the actual people who were on the show.

These women have "fashion problems" because of some disillusionment caused by insecurity. They are either desperately clinging to their younger years, have a terrible self-image, or feel some sort of animosity towards fashion because they see it as "the man." It's very interesting to watch these problems surface. Clinton and Stacy behave more than just style consultants; they have to address these insecurities and essentially prove to the women that they are better than their insecurities make them feel.

I understand these insecurities. We all have to face them. Our superficial society tells us so many lies and gives us so many unattainable standards. It's no wonder why women suffer from terrible self-images.

I'm thankful that my parents were always very supportive. I definitely feel down on myself some days, but overall, I'm pretty content. I was never one to feel that I had to conform to a particular way of looking, so I guess I've never been really depressed about my attractiveness. I have a sense of self-worth because God loves me and created me (most importantly!) and I have great people around me.

Maybe this is sad, but I'm still recovering from my adolescent indifference to style. Regardless, I'm happy that I'm not shackled by an obsession to look a certain way. Certainly I want to look like I care about myself and that I'm a professional, but I'm not going to kill myself in a gym or starve myself to get to 100 pounds. Maybe one day I'll find a good style for my frizzy hair. I doubt I'll ever have a perfectly flat stomach, but I never show enough skin for anyone to notice anyway.

Honestly, I know that people judge you based on the way you present yourself. A big part of that is your style. I want to keep myself updated (I swear never to be a frumpy, obese mother who wears sweats to the grocery store). But, overall, I don't get any sense of fulfillment when I start consuming myself with how I look. I feel confident because I know I'm not ugly and because God is with me in whatever I do. I'm also thankful that I have great friends who encourage me by not comparing themselves to me or anyone else and love me because who I am and what I represent.

No comments: