Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thoughts on the Feminist movement

Now, I really don't want to pretend like I know a lot about feminism. I am, however, a woman who wants to succeed in my professional life and who watches other women who want to succeed in their professional lives as well.

WTUL, the local college radio station I listen to, has recorded speeches every Friday morning from 8 to 8:30. The speakers are usually detailing the unfair world's cruelties towards women or some other minority. The speeches are very interesting, and give me a different perspective on some issues.

Last week's speaker talked about how women in every society in every culture since written history have never had a level playing field with men. She talked about how in modern times, even though we have affirmative action, men are still more likely to rise to the top and choose other men to rise with them.

I recognize there are some double standards when it comes to expectations of women's behavior. Socially, women are looked down upon for being cutthroat or aggressive. Women have a harder time negotiating higher salaries and larger raises.

However, I think it's unfair to ignore the God-given ability, instinct, desire, or whatever of child-birth to women. Unfortunately, women have to take serious time off in order to have children, and in many cases choose to be stay-at-home-moms. Because we bear the responsibility of having children, sometimes our careers lose their importance. It seems that the playing field would be level if men had to face the same choices.

I fall where many women fall: torn between the desire for a successful career and the desire for a great family. At this point in my life, career is more important. I don't want children because I recognize that I will have to cast aside my aspirations for them.

Many women might make the argument that you can pursue your career goals while raising a family, but I don't know if I completely agree. Children seem to thrive on the attention of their parents. I want to be able to give them the proper amount of care and correction because that will be my responsibility as a parent. Looking back, I am so thankful that my mom was around to help me experience different things, help me with my homework, attend my events, and mediate the arguments in my relationships. I want to be a consistent presence in my children's lives. I don't believe there is any shame in wanting to stay home with your children.

I am grateful to the feminist movement because it has created many more opportunities for women. However, the extremists seem to believe that importance of equality transcends the natural desire and consequences that come with child birth.

No comments: