Monday, June 23, 2008

New Orleans living

It's been a full week since I have moved to New Orleans. I can't believe how busy I have been even though I'm unemployed! Boxes to unpack, things to buy (I'm seriously exceeding my income), thank you notes to write, rooms to clean.... the list goes on and hasn't exactly calmed down! I'm grateful for my busyness because gives me a sense of satisfaction when I take care of my home and my husband. Hopefully, I will start a new job at Cafe New Orleans on the seminary campus this week. I really need to start making some money. Bills are coming up....

New Orleans is an interesting place to be. I admit, when in Pensacola, I would sometimes grow anxious about living in a city infamous for crime and strangeness. After a little while, though, I am not quite as afraid. Certainly, there are some places that I will not go by myself, but there are other places to which I feel comfortable traveling.

Additionally, I was concerned about a lack of friends. I came to the seminary fearful that everyone would be either too intellectual to have a real conversation, or too sheltered to know how to have fun, or even too scared of change to welcome someone new. However, I have found a community that is full of love for each other. Everyone has been really nice and helpful. I am really looking forward to making new friends!

Married life has also been great. After being separated for so long, Matt and I are really enjoying being together. It's so wonderful to wake up next to the man I love so much! I love making coffee for us in the morning and bringing lunch to him in the afternoon. It's fun being a newly-wed.

Well, it's off to the cafe to do some paperwork and start my work schedule. I'm so excited that I won't be stuck behind a desk!

No comments: